SUBIC BAY COMMANDO

Postby JOHNNY SEATTLE » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Johnny Seattle

JOHNNY SEATTLE
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SUBIC BAY COMMANDO

Postby David Mac McAllister » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:20 am

PQS signed off, Orals held at Marylyn's.
Mac-OUT

David Mac McAllister
Senior Members
Senior Members

Postby vet17132@comcast.net » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Fully qualified. First entered during '69 westpac on Stoddert, Magsaysay was still not very well paved and there was a huge (and I mean HUGE) pot hole bout a third of the way down on the right hand side going out. Paulines still had the gators in the pool in front. Used to be kids selling little ducklings to sailors so we could feed the gators. One of the gators got killed during one of the elections when someone threw a grenade at Paulines. > Spent 3 westpacs, 69-72 running Magsaysay. Only discovered Subic City at the end. Back in those days, the jitney ride to Subic City was sorta scarey. When I went back in 76 with CTF 73, the main drag had been paved much better as well as some of the side streets. Spent two years 'station Dito" but of course got very very little liberty. Had the Duty Okusan at home to keep me in line. Then, once I hit the Midway, most of our visits then I headed to the Barrio, Having learned that the best liberty was out there, left Magsaysay to the newbies. Also did a couple TAD trips down there when at MSCFE. Trust me, fully qualified, stayed at the Marmont, stayed at the beach, also visited the place across the bay that had been an old PT base and was run by an old retired guy. Great for picnics, ships parties etc......Cant remember his name. Been a long time. Admiral Collins the first Comnavsurfgruwestpac and Last Comservgru three actually had us have a command party out there. He even commandeered a couple of Landing Craft to run us all out there, families and all.
Don't thing I could go back there to live tho. A week at a time bout all I could really handle.
RMCS Larry Bragg/Usn/Ret
vet17132@comcast.net
New Members
New Members

Postby ETChief » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 am

Gaines' Beach, I believe, is the place you are thinking about across the bay.
ETC(SW) Ed Crean, USN (Ret.)
Mansfield, Texas
etchief@gmail.com
ETChief
Members
Members

Postby vet17132@comcast.net » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:13 pm

ETChief wrote:Gaines' Beach, I believe, is the place you are thinking about across the bay.

Yup, Gaines Beach, I think the guy out there was named Ernie Gaines and he was, i believe a retired airedale of some sort. Mostly all liver by the mid 70s. He treated us well tho. Great food etc........Really nice place for ship or command party.
RMCS Larry Bragg/Usn/Ret
vet17132@comcast.net
New Members
New Members

Return to WESTPAC Sailors